Friday, September 25, 2015

M-1 (September 25)


It's MARINE WEEK!  Yea!  They made it!

Yes, I actually know for certain that Jeremiah made it through the dreaded Crucible.  We received a call last night from some missionaries that are serving at MCRD San Diego.  The Sister called and let me know that he made it.  She also told me Jeremiah wants me to make copies of all the letters he's sent home so he can put them in a journal.  I'm thinking, "What?!  He keeps a journal?!"  What made me tear up, though, was when she told me he was being ordained an Elder.  It will be during a reception that the LDS Church has there on base on Family Day.  So, I was an emotional mess yesterday with him becoming a Marine and then knowing he is going to be ordained.  I'm so excited for him!

Last night I also found that a video had been posted of each platoon in Charlie Company.  It was filmed on the 18th.  All they do is stand there on bleachers behind the DIs, but it was nice to see him and that he's well.  He looks tired or bored or both.  I can't decide.


We received a letter from Jeremiah today as well.  He was ready for The Crucible.  He was hoping it would help him get some of his stress out since he was very frustrated with someone in his platoon.  Actually, he's been frustrated with many in the platoon.  He states, "the recruits that think they made it are trying to turn it into a game."  He then goes on to talk about the other recruit that was "being a pain in the rear end."  It sounds like he was so frustrated with this recruit trying to boss him around (which Jeremiah has NEVER taken very well) that he wanted to beat the pulp out of him.  Luckily, though, Jeremiah does have self-restraint and didn't do that.  His platoon was with the SDI (Senior Drill Instructor) for the Crucible, and this other recruit was on Jeremiah's team.  Jeremiah wrote, "I might be up against him during pugil sticks during the Crucible.  Maybe not, but I might be able to release a lot of pent up stress during the Crucible with all the physical activity that will be happening."  Reading between the lines...he hoped to pummel the guy.  

I don't know if he ever got to beat on the other guy with a Pugil stick, but I'm very glad that he made it through the Crucible and now has the title of Marine.

Last night I also found that a video had been posted of each platoon in Charlie Company.  It was filmed on the 18th.  All they do is stand there on bleachers behind the DIs, but it was nice to see him and that he's well.  He looks tired or bored or both.  I can't decide.

Today Jeremiah will be turning in his gear: rifle, helmet, or any other item "loaned" to him for boot camp.  So he'll be cleaning everything getting it ready to be returned.  Then he and the other new Marines will be given instruction covering what is expected of him as a Marine within the Corps and out in the civilian world.

For the next week, it's learning about BEING a Marine...not on HOW to be a Marine.  Decorated Marine Vets will speak to the new Marines and welcome them to the brotherhood and talk about the history of the Marine Corps.

Jeremiah should be receiving his orders for SOI/MCT.  SOI is School of Infantry.  MCT is Military Combat Training.

All the new Marines will be preparing for the Moto Run and practicing for Family Day and Graduation.  They'll also be getting used to addressing their DIs by their rank (Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, etc.) rather than "Sir."

I'm getting so excited for next week and seeing Jeremiah in his uniform.  It will be nice to see him, talk to him, and give him a hug.  The three months has gone by faster than I'd anticipated.  He's grown so very much.  I'm thrilled that he has achieved this goal of his to be a United States Marine.


No comments:

Post a Comment